About Advances in Surgery
The evolution of surgery constantly requires the inclusion of new approaches and new devices that enable the constant renewal, not only of the elements of surgery, but also of its very definition. Thus, the surgery of the future, hand in hand with innovation, must become the part of a structural alteration of the surgical continuous education processes, because of by the gap generated in between the creation of new approaches and procedures, the technical advances of the devices, the HCP learning curve and finally the adoption curve.
Dr. William Halsted's description of the teaching of surgery: “See one, do one, teach one", based on face-to-face, work-based learning, is not currently sustainable due to the regulation of the labor framework for surgical professionals in terms of working hours, as well as due to the need to take knowledge to every corner of the planet.
Our founder, the world-renowned surgeon Antonio M. Lacy, thought that to provide universal access to the best lifelong surgical training shouldn’t be exclusive to a few privileged surgeons. Surgery has advanced more in the last 15 years than in the previous 150, and only 3% of surgeons in the world can keep up to date (due to time, money and other restrictions).
"Tell me and I forget.
Teach me and I may remember.
Involve me and I learn."
At AIS we believe in facilitating free remote access to excellent surgical contents (synchronous or on demand) provided by the best international surgeons. This is the starting point to rewrite the rules of training and learning through the use of tools that combine technology and innovation. We believe in democratizing surgical and medical knowledge!
Since 2014 to work tirelessly on the audiovisual and technical record and transmission and scientific validation of procedures, techniques and innovations, coming from a constantly growing network of hospitals and key opinion leaders and validated by academic and scientific institutions, with the aim of offering it to everyone who needs it in the most technologically and effective possible way.
- Reduce the number of surgeons who have no access to quality ongoing training.
- Constantly create and maintain an international network of leading surgeons in their specialties who share the same mission and theirs associated hospitals, universities, foundations and societies.
- Create and maintain platforms to facilitate the transfer of knowledge and speed up the curve for the adoption of new tools, techniques, and procedures, and consolidate basic surgical and medical knowledge.
- Give universal access (at no cost) to a library (in real time and on demand) of surgical learning and experiential contents, ranging from the basics to the latest procedures.
- Constantly innovate in formats and contents to keep our community engaged.
- Constantly explore new digital teaching methodologies and technologies.
- Cover everything from mass training to selective learning through the use of existing or home-developed technologies. As a result, to improve patients’ outcomes.
Advances in Surgery is a global surgical and medical knowledge-transferring, data-driven ecosystem, comprising a set of digital correlative platforms, with the purpose of facilitating access to high-quality content created by the world's best specialists. Its goal is to accelerate the training/learning curve so as to close the gap between innovation and adoption, through the use of behavioral analysis, artificial intelligence, active listening, and adaptive learning management systems.
Overall, the goal is to offer the highest clinical and audiovisual quality contents created by a global network of leading surgeons and HCP in their specialties (KOLs) and the most prestigious scientific societies, hospitals, foundations and universities to address 3 key main gaps:
- Correct Setup
- Surgical Alternatives
AIS Mood & Spirit
We are no longer a startup but we move with the same flexibility and spirit as one. Our circular organization charts and agile methodologies allow us to face challenges that would be almost impossible with a strict 20th century organizational structure. In addition, the combined skills of our high-performance international teams respond to the needs of the times we are living in.
Our outstanding teams is formed by:
- Medical team (international)
- Audiovisual team
- Biomedical Engineering team
- Programming, Digital Platforms & Artificial Intelligence teams
- Creativity and Communication team
- KHIRUS (LMS [Barcelona + West Palm Beach in partnership with DialogEdu])
- Instructional Design and Accreditation team
- Research and Publications team
- Students of medicine and biomedical engineering (from different universities)
- International ambassadors (mainly surgeons)
- And probably you! :D
In every action we take, we not only dedicate our time and talent, but we also put into practice what our CEO always reminds us: "although surgery may be one of the most sensitive areas of expertise in the world, we must never forget that fun is not the opposite of serious". Rod Menchaca
And the most important: when we are asked where our headquarters are, we say that they are on the third planet of the solar system inside the local bubble of the Orion arm as part of the Milky Way.